Friday, February 26, 2010

Avoiding Paid Survey Scams

Getting paid to do online surveys is where many begin their online money-making journey.  I did, eight years ago; just my opinions and my computer.  It's no longer how I make most of my money online, but I like to share what I've learned for others just starting out.  So, here's a little how-to avoid paid survey scams and find legit free paid surveys.

First Rule of Survey Taking:
Never pay them.  They pay YOU.
If a site wants money from you for anything having to do with surveys, walk away.  You're providing valuable research that companies are paid well for; those who try to get money from would-be survey takers are taking advantage of them, inserting themselves as an unnecessary middleman, at the very least.  There's no part of survey taking you should have to pay for. Period.

If you try to sign up for a site that calls itself a survey site and you see pages and pages of opt-in advertising, that's not a real survey site.  It's a poorly-disguised affiliate cash-cow that will probably spam your email account and try to get you to sign up for trial offers it calls surveys.  This is another situation where you should just walk away.

Survey Police.com is an excellent, FREE database of survey sites, with user rankings and reviews.  It's an invaluable tool for finding good free paid survey sites and checking the validity of a new site you might come across.

For those who would like a place to start, I offer my list of my best survey sites.

2 comments:

abitosunshine said...

Good advice!

I can't figure out how to follow your blog.

Lune Wolfsong said...

That's probably my fault, I'm still playing with the layout and I bet I have the follow options off. I'll go see if I can fix that.